Thursday, September 28, 2006

SBQ 9/28/06


Today's SBQ was suggested by Sharon and is:
When you find yourself making a lot of mistakes in various stitching projects do you find it better to muddle your way through or do you take a brief break from stitching? If you do take a break, how long do you take?


What a question, considering my "North American Beauties" problem this week (see earlier post)!
I'm not sure who taught me this way, but I was taught to start with the lightest color and work my way to the darkest color, when stitching. This kind of "cross country" stitching led to miscounting ALOT. So I would have to either figure out how to work around the miscount, if possible, or rip out everything wrong. I have never taken a break from something because I made mistakes on it, but I will do a shorter rotation time on it (I work in 10 hour blocks), and put it up until it come up again.

The funniest mistake I made was on the flowers on the left hand side of "At Play with Friends". With over 300 different colors in the project, many of the symbols were similar, and I mistook the pink symbol for green. That was the one mistake I frogged from that piece to correct. I also miscounted in several places, but I bet you can't figure out where!
Image hosted by Webshots.com

However in the past year I have started stitching a different way. I now start in the center or the top left corner and work my way down, row by row. I'm finding I don't make as many mistakes, and those I do make are easily rectified or worked around. Although I do occationally still mix up symbols.

No comments: