Friday, August 18, 2006

SBQ and an update

Do you have an organizational system for your fabric? If so, what is it? If not, what do you store your fabric in?
How do people store their fabric, especially those small but potentially usable pieces? Do they sort by count? How do they label it or otherwise know what each piece is?


Me? Organized? Hel yeah!
First all my fabric is labeled with count, color, type, and the size (either on the package from the manufacturer or a piece of paper I fold into the fabric). Then they are sorted by count and put in labeled gallon size ziploc bags (which are left open to breathe) and stored in a huge basket in my closet (you can fit 3 newborn babies end eo end in the basket).
To top all that off, I have everything in my Organized Expressions for Needleworkers software, which makes it easier to hunt down what fabric I need or want to use. I just pull up together all the floss for a project, then open up the software, look at demensions I need, and the possible colored fabric to go with it. Then after narrowing the choices down, i go to the closet and pull out the fabric for a floss toss. At the most I'll pull out 5 different fabrics, so I don't have to do alot of digging.
After I've cut off the amount I need, remeasure the remaining fabric, change the label, and update my software. It make take a little extra time, but in the long run makes thing easier.
I've been considering having a separate bag for ornament/bookmark size pieces, but I don't really have enough 'scaps' at the moment to justify it (in my own head, at least).
AND I have finally gotten a chance to download progress pictures of a couple of projects. The first is "Snowcones", a freebie from Michaels.com.

Image hosted by Webshots.com
by libhita

Also finally got a picture of a Janlynn Kit "Tanager with Tulips" that I've been working on.
Image hosted by Webshots.com
by libhita

As always, you can see the progress pictures of everything I'm working on in my Webshots alblum.

1 comment:

Meari said...

Your WIPs are coming along great, Lisa.