Thursday, December 28, 2006

The food was GOOOOOOOOOOD!

The Yuletide season has been good and busy. I spent all last week baking; I lost track of how much after 6 Poppyseed/Nut rolls and all the cookies. The Spritz cookies didn't turn out great, as I broke the cookie press half way through the batch, and cut circles with the rest of the dough. My mom and I are arguing oer whose cookie press it is; she says it's mine and I let her borrow it. I can't remember if I bought it for her as a present or if I bought it for me and gave it to her when her's died, or if I let her borrow it. Doesn't matter; it still needs replacing. Hopefully I can order just the part that it broken instead of getting a whole new one. But then again, some of the newer models look nifty!

I was right earlier, we were only able to get one present each for the four of us, but luckily Sata-Grandma sent over bags of presents for the kids (and a couple for me and J too). She filled up my trunk and backseat with presents, and there is still more under her tree. She's visiting her and her hubby's parents this Christmas, so there will be Christmas in January at her house. There was some presents that she wants to see the kids faces when they open them.

I, personnally, didn't get a whole lot of stuff, and only one stash item, which I bought for myself. It was JCS 2006 Christmas Ornaments issue. As it is part of my exception list AND bought with gift money (my bonus from work), I have not broken the challenge. Other stuff I got:
-2nd season of Stargate-SG1 (I gave hubby the 3rd season; we co-ordinated on this)
-kitchen gadgets (silicon cupcake pan, bread pan, and cookie mats, a NICE chef knife, adjustable spoon measures, color co-ordinated cutting boards to avoid cross contaminating)
-a chocolate vanilla mocha bath set (I have a feelign the kids will end up with the bubble bath, as there is no tub in my bathroom, but the shower gel and spongey thing is mine!)
-Lavender eye pillow
-book on Celtic History: from pre-history to the Norman invasions
-a local cookbook that hubby's aunt helped put together. bonus here is there are several recipes of hubby's grandma in here, as well as lots of passed down german recipes
-couple of decorative baskets with potporri (amazingly matches my bathrooms. that was coincidence)
-chip&dip set

Much of this was "addressed" to both me and hubby; mostly everything that can be used in the kitchen, as we both COOK.

Last Friday we had my family and friends over for Yule; the spread was glorious, if I do say so myself. Turkey with sausage stuffing (we would have had goose, but couldn't find one big enough), warm german potatoe salad, latkes, carrots in beer, broccoli, clover rolls, and honey oatmeal bread. With all the baking, I'm glad I stole..um, I mean, borrowed my mom's new KitchenAid mixer. It won't be stollen until I tell her that I'm not giving it back. Besides, she won't miss it until she goes to make cookies next Christmas, right?

1 comment:

Meari said...

Sounds like a nice Christmas. I didn't get any baking done this year. Only the 2nd time in 18 years where I did no baking.